L4Dmaps
<a href="http://www.game-advertising-online.com/" rel="nofollow" target=_blank>Game Advertising Online</a><br> banner requires iframes
CS:GO Maps and Mods
Serious: Redoing .MDL file Animations created by Roflmahwafflz
This thread contains 6 posts

(1428)
PostPosted: May 27th, 2012, 1:21 pm 
Now I have been working on trying to do this for a while and I know it can be done as the .mdl files I obtained from a website CAME with animations and they were custom model files not from any source games (these are dinosaurs)
Now I have been searching this for quite a while and I dont see a way to import the .mdl files into Blender, rework the animations, and place them back into .mdl format; and so I was wondering has ANYONE had any successes with animating a .mdl file.
I would prefer help pertaining to blender from somebody knowledgeable about the subject and not some random yahoo going "erm, try doing file>import then select .mdl file u's want and do de animations" because that isnt valid and I have tried importing the .mdl file however it isnt a valid extension. Can anybody possibly point me to a blender addon that allows the opening of .mdl files?
BTW I am monitoring this thread for replies and I find this a serious request and I am looking for serious answers, google has been no help and the Valve Dev Wiki isn't helpful when it comes to blender and .mdl files.

Breaking Bad: RV Defense

Pizza Hut Survival

Mental Madness : To Oblivion

(1428)
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:18 am 
drowning in sea of spam requests and I still need this information, so sorry for early bump. I just want to make sure that somebody that can help me sees this.

Pizza Hut Survival

(95)
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 8:17 am 
The only way I know of doing it, is by decompiling the MDL files to SMD, honestly I don't think there's any other way around that, a MDL file is not just one model, but a bunch of models (LODs body groups) etc and attributes that only source can read. I'm sure there's an SMD importer for Blender on the net somewhere.

(1428)
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 9:18 am 
ok, so then, i guess thats making progress. Does anybody know of a utility i can use to decompile (and then recompile later) mdl files into smd format?

Pizza Hut Survival

(47)
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 9:26 am 
Doesn't Milkshape natively handle .mdl's ? Not sure if thats useful to you, but you might be able to save/export the file as something more useful to you (or just rework it in Milkshape its self).

*Hasn't used a modelling program for 8 years*

(1428)
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 1:55 pm 
If i recall milkshape has trouble when it comes to animations and animatics, and the entire point of this thread was to keep the animations intact however i will look into it.

Pizza Hut Survival