L4Dmaps
<a href="http://www.game-advertising-online.com/" rel="nofollow" target=_blank>Game Advertising Online</a><br> banner requires iframes
CS:GO Maps and Mods
[WIP] Apocalypse campaign created by beniox
This thread contains 23 posts
1, 2, 3

(74)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 5:52 am 
I want to make my first campaign, and it'd be a huge one, based on a game called "Apocalypse"... now... the funny thing (if we could even manage to laugh) is that I... never made a map before... tried to make a box map in which I put survivors, save room A and B... failed so yeah... that'd be a really long way to the destination point as you can see... I need a guide who'd be very patient and would have enough time to put stuff up with me, help me out here and there and teach me mapping. I have lots of background stuff done such as music and ideas, well, I need at least two mods to come with it but I can do modding kinda, plus have a friend who can do 1 out of 2 of these things. So uhm, yeah, add me on Steam, name's BenioX (you'll find me as Chad Pain) and best if we discuss it there, but also feel free to write here on the forum to me at least for now ;)

ANY help appreciated :P

(178)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 7:43 am 
... I think everyone should learn from own experiences, tutorials and by own mistakes. Mapping is not really a topic you can explain to someone easely because there are SO many things you can tell. In my opinion creating a level is something you mostly have to archieve on your own. Ofcourse we could help you, bot only if you can't help youself out anymore. Dont be afraid to go that "really long way to the destination point".

(74)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 8:36 am 
Paz... as I said, I tried making something, it took me 6 months, then I gave up, cuz during 6 months I couldn't even make a cube with survivors inside and save room A and B. Only reason why I ask for help is because I can't help myself. I watched tutorials and did step-by-step like on them just to end up with same results I achieved alone - NOTHING.
The only reason why I ask for help is because I wasted time trying to do something like that alone and ended up with nothing, and dedicading another 6 months with same results is time-wasting.

(178)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 8:39 am 
Sorry beniox, "I... never made a map before..." sounded like you've never done anything beside that cube-thing before. My fault. Just tried to say "dont give up".

(232)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 8:54 am 
Paz is right...the best way for you to learn is by doing it step by step alone,and when you fail(and you will)do it again and see where did you go wrong!
I am not trying to be a smartass here....that is truly the best way to learn anything!If someone else tells you do this and do that then you will never understand why did you suppose to do the thing he said!
As for any help,you got it!This community!
Try and do the map you want to do and when you run into problems set up your problem on the forum and I am positive someone will know the answer to your problem!
That is how every mapper started mapping including myself!
So even tho you have a long frustrating way ahead of you,don't worry...we got your back! ;)

(74)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 9:07 am 
Tisa wrote:
Paz is right...the best way for you to learn is by doing it step by step alone,and when you fail(and you will)do it again and see where did you go wrong!
I am not trying to be a smartass here....that is truly the best way to learn anything!If someone else tells you do this and do that then you will never understand why did you suppose to do the thing he said!
As for any help,you got it!This community!
Try and do the map you want to do and when you run into problems set up your problem on the forum and I am positive someone will know the answer to your problem!
That is how every mapper started mapping including myself!
So even tho you have a long frustrating way ahead of you,don't worry...we got your back! ;)

Okay... so, after 6 months of failing, I am asking... how to do this properly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1qlud_Qo4
This is where I stuck without any good results - everytime I try to make wall I get lost in all those tabs etc, got probs to get proportions and in end I can't even make a room...

(178)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 10:35 am 
I dont want to sound offending, but.. I honestly don't understand whats so difficult on creating a simple room. I know this isn't helping but seriously... 6 months and can't even create a room out of blocks? Also, your profile says you've only been on AT for 0.1hours, so I'm not sure why you are speaking of "6 months" (maybe you've been offline in steam all the time while mapping, this would explain it).
I guess you have to describe your problem a little further or send screenshots/vmf-file so we can actualy help you.

(74)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 10:43 am 
Paz wrote:
I dont want to sound offending, but.. I honestly don't understand whats so difficult on creating a simple room. I know this isn't helping but seriously... 6 months and can't even create a room out of blocks? Also, your profile says you've only been on AT for 0.1hours, so I'm not sure why you are speaking of "6 months" (maybe you've been offline in steam all the time while mapping, this would explain it).
I guess you have to describe your problem a little further or send screenshots/vmf-file so we can actualy help you.

I got 2nd Steam account, silly... one for gaming and talking to friends, one for modding and testing stuff out without people writing to me every minute. Also, first when I tried on my account, I was doing it off-line as you actually thought of, but it'd never show 6 months because ofc it's time which took me figuring stuff, mostly watching tutorials etc, the actual doing in hammer takes alot less time.

And as for my problem - mostly when I try to test it there is an error, don't remember it, I simply can't test it, and I even put survivors in it somehow, some tutorial explained how to, but even though I put survivors and made basic point A to point B cube, I couldn't test it nor save it. I tried for 6 months, from August last year till February this year, and always was same result - whatever I did, error, cant save, can't run a test on map, nothing.

(178)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 11:26 am 
YOU call me "silly"? I'm not willing to help anymore :P

(10)
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 12:49 pm 
Oh no!

1, 2, 3